Knowledgeable CT Auto Accidents Attorneys
Auto accidents are sudden, unexpected events that can leave victims injured and bewildered. Although the aftermath of an accident may seem overwhelming, the way a victim handles an accident can make the difference between facing mounting difficulties alone and obtaining fair compensation for your harm. If you are the victim of a car accident caused by the negligence or liability of another party, it is important to know what things to do after an accident to protect your rights to full and fair compensation from an insurance company or the negligent party. At The Law Offices of Marc N. Needelman, we are committed to providing accident victims with the information they need to make a full recovery. If you need our help, contact our firm for a consultation today.
What to do after an accident in Connecticut
- Seek immediate medical attention: The first thing car accident victims should do is seek immediate medical attention for themselves and other drivers and passengers. Some injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, may not present symptoms for days or weeks after an accident, so it is important to be examined by a doctor as soon as possible to prevent further harm. In addition, waiting to see a doctor may result in credibility issues that undermine a personal injury claim.
- Document the evidence: If possible, it is important to document the accident, including taking photos or video of the accident scene, which can be done with a mobile phone. It is also helpful to write down the names, contact information and statements of supporting witnesses as well as the negligent driver. If a driver admits fault, getting a signed statement is always wise, in case the driver changes his or her story.
- Seek experienced legal advice: As soon as possible after an accident, you should seek the representation of experienced car crash attorneys before speaking to insurers or anyone else. A car accident law firm helps you hold the negligent parties responsible, deal with insurance companies — who are out to make a profit and are not on your side — and gather and present important evidence, accident scene reconstruction, and witness and expert testimony to a judge or jury.
How to avoid an accident in Connecticut
- Although auto accidents are common, certain driving safety tips can help drivers avoid them:
- Avoid talking or texting on cell phones
- Avoid speeding
- Always obey traffic signals and rules of the road
- Watch for snow, ice, puddles, debris and construction
- Avoid driving next to large trucks, including semis, 18-wheelers and big rigs
- Watch for smaller vehicles, including motorcycles
- Regularly maintain your vehicle
Contact an experienced Hartford car accident law firm
At the Law Offices of Marc N. Needelman, our attorneys are here for accident victims when you need us. To learn more, please see our FAQ about auto accidents in Connecticut, contact our firm for a free initial consultation.